Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Half a goat is better than none.

Beginning of a painting.  

Hello again.
Hope everyone's summer is going well.  
Life here at Sherrill Studios is starting to gear up again.

I have spent the last few weeks worrying about some things that made it impossible for me to paint.  Sometimes it happens that way.  I hit those places in my brain that make it impossible to paint.  
But, I seem to be letting up on the concerns and
painting is coming a little easier.  
Yesterday, I started the day out with this lovely goat.
I know that he has some issues, but I think he has possibilities.
So...half a goat...

************  
If you remember, in the last blog I pointed out that we needed to make memories with and for our family & friends.
I had that opportunity come up for me in this last week.
I had it in spades.

***********

A very, very long time ago....
in a land far, far away....
I went to high school with (along with a few other hundred people) Scott Smith & LaRhonda Davis.  They married soon after Wayne & I did and started having children right off the bat.
Wayne and I...not so much.  We had to wait a while.

I learned so much from watching them parent.
Things that I stored up for when I had a child.
We lived on the north end of the state and they lived in Kokomo,
but we socialized when we came to visit.
We played cards and hung out.
Had a great time.
Brandon was born and it was just the best.
I became his self proclaimed GODmother.

Fast forward...10 years or so.
We each had two kids and all the problems & joys that come with them.
I was still learning parenting skills from watching the Smiths.
Their children were older than ours, so they met & conquered situations that I would have to deal with later.

Fast forward again...
As sometimes happens (happened to me...) the Smiths ended their relationship with a divorce.  Their boys have grown up to be fine young men with families of their own.  I am proud of them both.

This last weekend Brandon, Scott & Brandon's son Kaiden
came to visit from the southern states.
Scott's mother is ill & they came to see her in the.  
I couldn't wait to see Brandon & meet his son.

Kaiden and his dad shooting us in the pool.
He wouldn't get in.  He said it was too deep.
     
I invited them over for pool time and to meet Leia.
Leia & Kaiden are only a month apart, so we thought they would hit it off.
And they did.
  We had one of Leia's favorite meals, hot dogs, cheesy poofs & chocolate milk after we got out of the pool.

He drank TWO glasses of chocolate milk.

He looks just like his dad did when he was little...
I enjoyed this visit SO MUCH.
During the time that they were here
I was able to take some three generation photos.
Again, Scott & Ronnie gave me a glimpse into what I hope will be my future.
What did I see?
I saw a comfort level that I have not yet achieved.
I saw two divorced adults treating each other with respect & dignity.
Not because they had to, but because that is what you do for your kids.
They gave me hope.

Brandon, Kainden & Scott Smith
Three Generations

Brandon, Kaiden & Ronnie
Three generations
 What a wonderful visit.
Family, in the end, is everything, isn't it?
That is what makes us strong, individually & as part of a group.  
It's where we go when times are hard.
It's who we celebrate with.
It gives us our sense of self.

Thank you for reading.
I'll see you all again, soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment